Cool Science Links:
The "experiment of the month" : Just try it!!
Here is what you need!:
- 1 fresh egg
- 1 glass and water
- 3 - 4 spoonful of salt
How you do it!:
- fill the glass with water
- carefully put the fresh egg into the water
- it will sink to the bottom and stay there
- now pour the salt into the cup, stir it and wait a little while
- the egg slowly rises to the top
And here is what happens!:
The egg sinks in water because it is heavier than the water it displaces. The salt increases the density of the water; that means saltwater is heavier than regular water. Now the egg is lighter than the saltwater and "swims".
You can try the same experiment using less or more salt. See what happens then!